Must be a .32 caliber or higher to qualify. There is no minimum caliber to legally carry as long as it is a legal pistol.
There is no longer a classification of concealed handgun license. If you qualify with a revolver you can carry a semi-automatic.
Number of Rounds Fired
The shooting test requires 50 rounds of ammunition
CHL Shooting Distances
The CHL Shooting test is fired at three distances:
- 3 yards – 20 rounds fired
- 7 yards – 20 rounds fired
- 15 yards – 10 rounds fired
The majority of students pass the proficiency test when they have completed shooting at 3 and 7 yards.
CHL Shooting Proficiency Test Scoring
- 5 points – shots fired in the X, 10, 9, & 8 rings
- 4 points – shots fired in the 7 ring
- 3 points – shots fired outside the 7 ring but on the silhouette
- 0 points – shots fired outside the silhouette or off the target paper
- Shots that hit just outside the ring but break the line count as the higher score
CHL Passing Score
The Texas CHL shooting test passing score is 175 points out of 250 points or a score of 70%. The state allows for three chances to pass the shooting test.